via I Made Dinner
Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
adapted from www.saveur.com; originally from Cake Man Raven
For the cake:
* 2 1/2 c. cake flour
* 1 1/2 c. sugar
*1 tsp. baking soda
*1 TBSP cocoa powder
*1 tsp. salt
*1 1/2 c. vegetable oil
*1 c. buttermilk
*2 TBSP (1 oz.) red food coloring
*1 tsp. vanilla extract
*1 tsp. white distilled vinegar
For the frosting:
*12 oz. cream cheese, softened
*12 oz. butter, softened
*1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
*3 c. confectioners’ sugar
*1 1/2 c. chopped pecans (optional)
1. For the cake: Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa, and salt into a medium bowl.
3. Beat eggs, oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla, and vinegar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until well combined. Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
4. Divide batter evenly between 3 greased and floured 8? round cake pans. (Obviously, I made cupcakes, so this got divided between 18 cupcake tins)
5. Bake cakes, rotating halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean, 25–30 minutes. Let cakes cool 5 minutes, then invert each onto a plate, then invert again onto a cooling rack. Let cakes cool completely. (cupcakes took about 15 minutes)
6. For the frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla together in a large bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Add sugar and beat until frosting is light and fluffy, 5–7 minutes.
5. Chill for 2 hours to set frosting.
6. Frost as desired